Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Deja Vu

7:36am - Eyes open..........awake refreshed, having just spent 20-25 minutes drifting in and out of consciousness........thinking, dreaming, praying........hear the sounds of children in the living room (daddy, after having read mommy's blog, threatened that if anyone ever wakes mommy for silly reasons there will be NO KINDLE TIME)

7:37am - Head out to the living room........Francesca asks, "Mommy I didn't lose my Kindle time, did I?"  It's seems to be a moot point at this time seeing as how she is playing on the Kindle at that very moment.......but no, no lost Kindle time.  See how happy and relaxed mommy can be after 6 hours of sleep?

7:38am - I stroll out to the kitchen to determine what is for breakfast, decide the cereal left over from Christmas (my dad gets the kids each a big cardboard box full of cereal for Christmas because it's not something we usually buy..........don't ask, it's just us........not you :) and the bread from nonna's are good enough for today.

7:39 - 7:42am - I eat a bowl of Rice Krispies while I watch Nico and Francesca getting along, happy, using their Kindle Time together............ahhh, think life is good.

7:43 - 7:46am - Fia stumbles out for a cuddle, she sits on my lap.......I give her kisses and think happy thoughts about how lucky I am.

7:46am - Francesca asks to play a game and I say OF COURSE, let's play a game - I have food in my belly, I have slept, there is no pressure to move quickly, all is well.

7:50am - I hear a child's voice...........ummmm, doesn't someone have grandparents breakfast today?

What?  What's that you say?

Grandparents breakfast?

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!  I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!

(I emerge from my blessed, relaxed, happy mommy fog)

GO! GO! GO!  NICO!

GET OFF THE KINDLE!!!!

WHERE'S YOUR LUNCH?

GET DRESSED!!!!

I WILL GET YOUR SOCKS!!!!

WHERE'S MY PHONE!?!?!  I HAVE TO CALL ZIA MARIA!!!!

MAYBE SHE CAN PICK YOU UP!

OH MY WORD - HOW DID I FORGET AGAIN?!?

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

BRUSH  YOUR TEETH!

BRUSH YOUR HAIR!!

(Fia, in the background - "Ok. everyone just has to remember their own breakfast, ok?  Just remember when your day is and get ready." She has resigned herself already to a mother that cannot remember anything)

GO! GO! GO!

OK.  OK.  ZIA MARIA IS HERE!!  OUT THE DOOR!!

HAVE FUN!

I LOVE YOU!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!

So...............it happened...........AGAIN.  I would like to say I am surprised.

But..........well, I am not.

Just last week it took us five days to remember to put money in Nico's baggie with his tooth.

Tooth fairy fail #1,074.

Our kids don't even bother leaving it under their pillow anymore.  They tape their tooth in a baggie on their light switch.

Nico swears the tooth fairy isn't real.......he just wants his money and rolls his eyes each morning as he reminds me that the money STILL ISN'T THERE.

I just tell him to try again tonight.

It isn't bad parenting.

It's called teaching my child delayed gratification.

Oh and responsibility............

Remember your own dang breakfast, kids.

Side note:  I learned from the master.  My mom?  I remember a time in high school........I had a HUGE crush on this boy from school........HUGE.  He drove a beat-up, rusted blue pick up truck and was kind of a jerk but could be sweet, at times.  Plus he was an under dog.  

I was a stupid girl. 

ANYWAY................HUGE crush.  BUT.........not an unlikely scenario, you know?

I come home.   My  mom says.........GUESS WHO CALLED?

My heart stopped beating.  OH MY WORD.  HE CALLED!!!!

I wait.  I try to act casual.  Ummm........who?

NO ONE she says.  She laughs.

The cruelty almost takes your breathe away, doesn't it?

I love that story.  It's probably the one time in life my mom messed with me like that and it makes me cackle every time I tell it -1) because it's funny and 2) because it horrifies my mom :)

1 comment:

Rachel Lipford said...

Oh. My. Word. I don't know which is better, the breakfast or that your mom was mean to you once!!