Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Other One.....

The other one..........this one makes me sigh, too - a sigh filled with bubbling laughter, exasperation and complete love.  And I usually am shaking my head as I sigh.  This one has done things, discovered things, thought of things that the others NEVER WOULD have.  In fact my own mild-mannered childhood hasn't prepared me for her.  Yes, I had attitude.  Yes, I was bossy.  Yes, I had my moments but overall, I remember being afraid of stepping too far over the line.  I wasn't perfect but I was easily intimidated.  Not so with this one..............


I remember when she was young, just walking.  All three were still at home and I was occupied with one, not aware of the youngest - where she was or what she was doing.  This was always a mistake and still can be.  I look about the house, searching because the silence is disturbing.  I walk into the bathroom................oh my.  My angelic looking child was rifling through my makeup bag, putting on lipstick.   

Oh, and she was on the toilet.

With the lid up.

Splashing in the water.

Where her brother had forgotten to flush.

A big, laugh-filled, love-filled sigh..................

A few weeks ago we were playing hide and go seek at an aunt's house.  Zia Maria expanded the game to include her front yard.  Everyone scattered.  I went inside to go to the bathroom.  Joe went up into a tree in the front yard.  The older kids and Zia Maria went in the backyard.  Francesca?

She went to a house four doors down.

In the front yard.

"Hiding" in front of a small, skinny tree.

Also, hiding behind all the bushes and cars that happen to be between four houses.

It was 10 minutes before we found her.

10 PANIC-FILLED, SCARED OUT OF MY MIND, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF I CAN'T FIND MY CHILD minutes...............

She told Joe, "I love you, dad.  Don't be sad, dad."


With this one.......it's not if she'll get in trouble, it's how deep will it go.................

No comments: