Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Flames, flames...on the side of my face.....

This morning, inspired by my post from yesterday, I decided it was time to clean the oven. Other clues included smoke coming from the oven on two separate occasions when cooking and the fact that several people have mentioned I may need to clean my oven.

Since I always like to take the easy way out when it comes to cleaning (you cannot BELIEVE the cleaning supplies that people brought to help clean out Matt and Tasha's townhouse.....if you call me to come help clean an area I bring my strong back, a bottle of vinegar and some old dish towels (the same thing I use for medical emergencies too :)....seriously, someone brought more paper towels than we have used in the past seven years and I had NEVER seen some of the products that were being used.....anyway.......) I decided to just flip that big sticky out thing on the front of the oven that I thought was to prevent the kids from opening the oven when I was cooking something. It turns out when you flip this thing to the side it locks the oven door but turns off the oven.........this was so puzzling to me for so long. I had no idea what function this thing could possibly have. It turns out that it locks the door for when you are CLEANING THE OVEN. Huh. No wonder I had no clue what it was for (Do you notice the way I keep using the word "clue"? Have you figured out why yet?)

Now I have tried this method before just a few weeks ago. Apparently my oven was so far gone that we have gone past that moment in time where your oven is still, indeed, self-cleaning. But I thought it was worth a try since, again, I like to take the easy way out when cleaning (this is perhaps why closets, drawers, under things, etc. should NEVER be closely inspected in our house. I was playing hide and seek with another parent and his kids the other day and I gave up my VERY good hiding place in fear they would all start looking in all sorts of places that no one should EVER look.) So self-cleaning, I turned the oven on and happily went about my morning.


I smelled smoke. I thought, ok, it's just doing it's job.



It smelled really bad.



Hmmmm.......I SEE smoke now...........



Hmmmm........there are flames in my oven now. Huh. Is that how it cleans itself? I wonder....



I yell to Joe....hey, honey, honey......there are flames, big flames in the oven, is that suppose to be like that? (At this point it is taking everything in me not to run for my camera so I can document for all of you how high the flames are but I wasn't sure how Joe would react to that and I stayed in the kitchen trying to look very concerned.) He proceeds to try to open the oven but that sticky out thing is very good at it's job and WILL NOT move. So we can't get the oven open and eventually the flames die out.

I feel the flames were symbolic of a burning bush moment for me (not to be confused with that other burning moment I had with a bottle of vinegar........). Maybe those flames were God saying that it's not really time to clean out your oven. Maybe I am meant to read my book today, play outside, can some peppers........I chose to think of this as a positive experience. He was telling me not to rescue the Israelites from Egypt but that I was to rescue myself from ever feeling like I was to clean that oven. I am free now. Free to do other things...........



Plus I still can't get my oven door open.



Did you figure out the connection between the post title and the word clue? Gotta love Madeline Kahn........

No comments: