Today as I watched my little ones eat their lunch under the table I had the thought that no way would this have happened a few years ago. A few years ago eating under the table would have been a no-no not because of what I thought but because of what I perceived others were thinking.
Don't do this to yourself.
When you go to say no to your child - think are you saying no because you believe it to be wrong or because of what you think other people will say or think?
Let's take the example of eating under the table. What are the cons?
1. The floor will get dirty.
- Well, we haven't figured out how to keep the floor clean when they eat at the table and not under it so we are good to go on that one.
2. I don't want to eat under the table.
- I don't eat lunch with them. I use this time to clean up the kitchen, prep for dinner or fold laundry. I am with them, in the same room and can monitor them but I learned long ago that this works best for us. They eat more, they interact with each other and are occupied while I can get some work done.
3. They will want to eat under the table all the time.
- They have never asked to eat under the table at any other time.
4. They will think it's normal to eat under the table and want to do it at friend's house/school/church.
- Nope, hasn't happened yet.
So in conclusion there are really no cons (in my humble opinion) to eating under the table save for the fact that other people might think it strange or uncouth. But really I think they probably would think that about us even if I didn't let my children eat under the table :)
So today take your eyes and thoughts off others and do what you think is best, what's right for your family. It looks different to all of us. And yes you will get strange looks and maybe someone somewhere in the world will judge you for what you are doing but really that's going to happen no matter what. It's the way of the world unfortunately and I would be lying if I said there weren't moments when I thought WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT MOM DOING. But then I remember that they are a mom and us moms have to stick together because we have a tough job. We all have good days and bad days and even everything-is-going-perfect-so-you-better-darn-well-look-at-my showered-self-today-because-who-knows-what-tomorrow-is-going-to-look-like days.
Well, I have to go because MY lunch is waiting and I always like to dine in bed, under the covers reading my novel while Francesca sleeps and Nico is sequestered in his room to play by himself.
Judge away........................ :)